Day of Surgery Cancellation (DOSC)
DOSCs Impact Revenue Stream
Last-minute surgery cancellations and patient no-shows cost hospitals millions of dollars each year, according to a study presented at the American Society of Anesthesiologists' annual conference.
...327 surgeries overall—were cancelled, costing the medical center nearly $1 million (Single year cost). - retrieved Advisory Board, Daily Briefing
Studies have shown that preoperative visits help reduce DOSCs. Researchers recommend performing preoperative visits with all patients. In the study, only 4% of surgeries where patients had a preoperative clinic visit with an anesthesiologist were cancelled. In comparison, 11% of surgeries where patients did not have a preoperative visit were cancelled. - retrieved Advisory Board, Daily Briefing
We dared to dream of even greater success and efficiency.
- Each patient receiving preoperative time and date reminders.
- All transportation issues have been addressed.
- Instructional videos helping the patient understand their responsibilities being available from their phone.
- Medication reminders for taking or discontinuing medication administration that prevent DOSCs.
- Interactive preoperative communication between the patient and your Healthcare System via text, phone, or email.