Associated medication non-adherence costs:
- 125,000 deaths in the U.S. each year
- Early admission to Assisted Living facilities. This can average $3,500 per month and in some locations it can be much higher.
- Healthcare costs for patients with low medication adherence are twice those of patients with good adherence.
- Direct cost estimated at $100 billion to $289 billion annually
- Costs $2000 per patient in physician visits annually
- Poor adherence to heart failure medications increases the number of cardiovascular-related emergency department (ED) visits – (The average length of hospitalization and related costs for heart attack patients is 5.3 days at $21,500)
This is just a small sampling of the costs of medication non-adherence.